Yes, my friends. Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish is back this week with this: top ten words/topics that make you not want to pick up a book.
I have to say, I had a difficult time coming up with this list – in the end, I had to go look at other people’s lists, and only came up with nine. But, in that process, I found out that many people out there basically hate the types of books that I love to read the most, namely fantasy, science fiction, history, murder/crime, and horror. Interesting…
That aside, here we go:
- Memoir/Autobiography – it’s just not my thing, really. There are a few exceptions, though I can only think of one right now (I would like to read Tina Fey’s Bossypants).
- Romance – I’m talking straight romance novels here. I don’t want anything to do with them.
- Chick-lit – I hate that term with a passion. And anything labeled as such is an immediate turn off.
- Slow-paced – just ugh.
- Self-help – hate them. Genuinely hate self-help books, I personally think they are a load of crap.
- Erotica – a.k.a 50 Shades of Grey, which I tried to read–I was curious what all the fuss was about–as it turns out, it was the most horribly written book I have ever attempted to read. I got about a third of the way into it and gave up because the whole time I was reading it, I was editing it. If it hadn’t been on my Kindle, I would have taken a red pen to it.
- Animal books – I am a huge animal lover, thus I cannot read animal books like Marley and Me. I saw the movie. And it was horrible. And I saw War Horse – HUGE mistake because it’s a million times worse. My poor little heart and overactive emotions can’t take it, even if it fiction.
- Fan fiction – because most of the time, it sucks (I’m looking at you, E.L. James).
- Feminist/Feminism – I do not consider myself a feminist, and I don’t really like the feminist agenda, so anything tied to that I try to steer clear of.
I’m pretty sure that all I’ve got for you today. See you tomorrow for MYSKW!