I can’t even remember the last time I participated in TTT. That’s horrible. I haven’t been a very good bibliophile lately. But I’m getting back in the game today! Today’s TTT (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) topic is top ten new-to-me authors of 2013. I’m not sure I actually got around to reading ten new authors sadly, even though I know I have numerous on my TBR list.
1. E.B. Hudspeth
2. James Dashner
3. Daniel O’Malley
4. Stephen Chbosky (I know, it’s a shame I didn’t get to Perks before 2013)
5. Irvine Welsh (again, shame on me!)
6. Hilary Mantel (and again)
7. Therese Anne Fowler
8. Peter Ackroyd
9. Helen Fielding (for shame, yet again!)
Now, in keeping with today’s bookish theme: this came from Life With a Side of Coffee, who co-hosts the Literary Junkie link-up. I’m not actually linking up, but I still wanted to play along :).
- If you were to write a book, what would it be about? Most likely, it would be in the fantasy/supernatural world with a healthy dose of mystery and history.
- If you had to read one book and/or one series for the rest of your life, what would it be? One book…right now, I’m going to go with The Historian. Or Jane Eyre. I can’t decide. Series – it would either be Harry Potter or the All Souls trilogy.
- Who is you current favorite book character and why? I’m going with Bridget Jones. Why? Because I can identify with her in many ways–though I’m not sure that’s a good thing–and because I adore her.
- Is there a book you read every year during the holiday season? Why? As a matter of fact, I usually read Jane Eyre. I don’t know why, it’s not really a “Christmasy” sort of book, but for whatever reason, I always end up reading it around Christmas. Maybe it’s just because it’s one of my favorite books ever written.
- What are the books on your Christmas list? Really, I want every book that I don’t own that is on my TBR list. But seeing as that’s currently around 700 books, these are the ones I asked for:
- the Bouchon Bakery cookbook
- S by Doug Dorst & JJ Abrams
- Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg
- The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
- Quiet by Susan Cain
Now, speaking of books on my Christmas list…this was my first year to participate in the TBTB Secret Santa box exchange. It did not dissapoint. I was so much fun putting together my box to send to Candice. And I got an amazeballs box from Elizabeth. I’m not gonna lie, she set the bar pretty high for whoever I get paired up with next year. Not only did she send me two of the books of my TBTBSS list (Bridget Jones’s Diary & The Night Circus), she also sent me Unnatural Creatures by Neil Gaiman, just because she thought I would enjoy it. And she was right. It has been on my TBR list since it came out! I was so excited to see it I gasped and frightened my dogs. And she sent me the most adorable, folksy card with an owl on it!
See. I told you, she did good. Thanks again, Elizabeth!
Ok, now I’m off to see the Wizard via TARDIS…